Sunday, April 27, 2008

No race doesn't mean no ride...

Well, not to anyone's surprise the race was canceled today. Kansas has it out for us. In hindsight, I'm rather glad because had the race gone on as planned I would have wrecked the entirely new drive train that Matt put on for me. (Thanks!)

But, just because there ain't no race, don't mean we didn't get out on our bikes. With a NW wind Matt thought it would be good to see the last 50 miles of the DK. Rather discouraging actually. But, at least I know what I'm in for after 150 miles in the saddle. (And it doesn't look good. Those of you who rode last year know what I'm talking about.)

The ride itself was entertaining though. Garret decided he needed to get a flat about 20 miles in. (Yes, it was a conscious decision that he made.) Instead of helping him out, Matt, Dusty, and myself played some carnival games. When we finally got rolling again we were freezing. I would have been fine, but Garret talked me out of taking my jacket. About 5 miles from Americus Matt initiated the city limit sprint. Of course, nobody but Matt knew where the city limit line was, so we gave chase. I'm okay with this though, because it gets Garret out of the equation. Except when Matt made his final move Garret inadvertently swerved in front of me. Otherwise...I definitely would have had Matt. At least that's what I tell myself. Once in Americus we hit up Casey's. (Who was out of pizza) We cut a few miles out of the route and started heading for Emporia since we lost some time with the flats. Matt once again started to break early for the sprint. (like 5 miles early.) I guess he looked back once and didn't think anyone was going with him, but when he looked back again I had made my way up to join him. Apparently this angered him and he took off. (I don't think he was really mad) So for 5 miles I gave chase and fell up short of course. I think that about sums it up. A great ride on some great roads.

Roads that will be very painful in about 5 weeks.

No comments: