** Check riverfrontmtbrace.blogspot.com for updated info **
I know what you are thinking, "but LeLan, You said the same thing earlier this year and didn't pull through with the Camp Alexander Race." While that is true, I couldn't bear to host our race the same day as Fancy Creek. Make you guys choose between two amazing events!? Couldn't do it. But, redemption is here as the Riverfront MTB Race in Melvern, KS will be a go (barring weather conditions that would be out of my control!). Here is a little bit of a preview of what you can expect:
Saturday Oct. 1st
* IMBA's International Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day
* A day for the kids. Ride the chat river trail (I would probably say best suited for children ages 5+) with the youngsters. We will have games and other activities available as well. More details on that to come. This day is all about sharing a passion for mountain biking with the youngin's.
Sunday Oct. 2nd
* 5k trail run - that's right, if biking isn't your thing and running/jogging/walking is, then come join us for a 5k trail run to start the day.
* MTB races - standard beg, sport, ss, expert XC type racing. Sorry, no marathon. Laps are fast on this trail and are great for XC racing, but I would hate to see you go round and round and get bored with it.
* Sweet, useful prizes compliments of Trek that you have grown accustomed to at these events. I know you love those shiny medals, but let's face it, you can't do anything with them! We want to reward the winners with useful items that are helpful to your riding. Not to mention a chance at SWAG just for showing up.
* OVERALL EXPERT CASH PAYOUT - That's right, we've heard your call for an overall expert payout and we agree. Let me try and explain this simply. If you are familiar with our events you know that there are only two age groups. 34 under and 35 plus. This year the 34 under class will serve as the "money" class. This means anyone over 35 that wants to fight for the cash can do so by racing 'under' their age group. This only works down and not up. That means any expert that is 34 and under MUST race the 34 under class. Deal with it, you're an expert. I won't listen to complaints that one of the older guys beat you. Trust me, they're fast. But, anyone 35 and over can choose to race down for the overall payout. Hopefully that makes sense.
* I want to give you as much money as I can. I'm not putting on this race to get money in my pocket or even to stock up a club account. It is for you. Therefore I will take the bare minimum to cover my costs and the rest goes back to the riders. This is especially important for the experts. If you want to make more money, bring more friends. It's that simple. Any ability. The more people, the more money and prizes I can give back. I will guarantee paying three deep to the 'cash' class, but could go 5 deep if the turnout is good. 35 plus group will be racing for said sweet prizes above.
* This especially means skipping the cross race that weekend and joining us for a mtb race!
* There will be food there for an additional cost. Don't know the menu, but typically $5 will get you a burger and chips kind of deal.
* More activities for the kiddies (pumpkin painting or something of that sort.) Make this a great family weekend and bring the whole crew.
* Camping is available within 5 miles of the race venue.
That seems like some good starter info. I will certainly be coming back with more detailed information. If you have any questions be sure to let me know. In the mean time, here is a little photo to peak your interest!